Re: Goofed when installing...(please help)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:23:31AM -0700, Frank Perez wrote:
> Hi,
> This is my first post on this list because I've never
> used a Mac before until yesterday when a buddy of mine
> gave me one of his old Mac's...so I decided to put
> Linux on it.  I've been using Sun's for about 10 years
> and Linux on PC's for a few years now, so I thought
> putting debian on a beige G3 someone gave me would be
> pretty straight foreward.  Well, I goofed (doh!).
> Here's my problem:
>
> I am trying to install debian woody through http as
> the only operating system on a beige Mac G3 desktop
> that I need to write some apps for.  I made the HFS
> boot floppy and the root floppy on my Linux box and
> then booted with the HFS boot floopy in the Mac box.
> Everything went painless, however when I got to the
> "create your partitions", I unwittingly reinitialized
> the partition table thinking I was initializing my
> newly created partitions.  At the time, I didn't think
> much of it, created a /boot, / and swap partitions
> again and the rest of the installation continued
> smoothly.  When the installation asked me to reboot
> the machine however, as soon as the machine reboot I
> got this error on the screen: "can't OPEN:
>
> /pci/mac-io/ide@200000/ata-disk@0:0".
>
> I think I am getting this error because when the
> partition map was reinitialized, it erased two
> partitions that said something like "ATA_100" or
> something.  I tried placing my HFS boot floppy in
> again, but I get the same error (is there something
> special I have to do to get it to boot from the floppy
> again?).  Do I have to recreate the ATA_100
> partition(s)?    I appreciate all your help, working
> on this Mac has been a humbling, bumbling experience
> for sure.

You can boot from the floppy again by inserting it,
then clearing your parameter RAM by booting with the
keys Cmd-Option-P-R all held down (during the chime).

You don't need the disk driver partitions in order to use
the machine under Linux. They are only needed for MacOS.

Your real problem is that the quik bootloader in woody
was not capable of booting G3s. In fact, only a few people
have successfully booted them with the fixed quik; but
the situation is explained in the install manual:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People