Re: macintosh keyboard patches (was: swiss german keyboard config needed (xev results))

 On Tue, Aug 26, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On Monday 25 August 2003 8:59, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > The non us and de maps need review, but should almost match what MacOS
> > does.
>
> So I looked at the extensive diffs you sent, and I have a couple of questions.
> The first is about the changes you made to the macintosh keycodes file. I
> like the new name for the macintosh_raw_adb keycodes; it's much more
> descriptive of what's going on. However, why do you change the default "new"
> macintosh keymaps away from the standard xfree86 and recopy nearly the
> identical keymap into macintosh? I thought that the point of changing the ppc
> kernel keycodes to be the same as the i386 keycodes was to enable these types
> of configurations to be shared. And the changes you've added are 99%
> identical to what's in keycodes/xfree86. Why do you want to separate these
> again?

I was concerned about the keys that differ on an Apple keyboard,
compared to a PC keyboard. Like control, option, apple, vs. control,
windows, alt, altgt and the other 2 keys. Maybe these can be redefined
after including the main rules/xfree86 file.

> BTW, your comment "<KPEQ> = 100; // XXX FIXME kernel or XFree86 bug" is an
> XFree86 bug that's been fixed in CVS.

yes, I have noticed that. good.

> The changes that you made to add dvorak and change the European keyboards to
> use the Euro symbol also look good, though if you look in the symbols/pc/
> directory in XFree86 4.3, you'll see that they've changed from using
> Mode_switch to change groups like:
>
>    key <AD03> { [ e, E ], [ EuroSign, Ediaeresis ] };
>
> they now use ISO_Level3_Shift to shift to the third level like:
>
>    key <AD03> { [ e, E, EuroSign, Ediaeresis ] };
>
> I doubt you'd want to make so many changes to these files, but you might
> consider it.

I have to look at it.

How do you want us to type keys like @, €, | and the like on a german
keyboard? The current symbols file doesnt handle these keys at all.
See all the complains about that on the debian list, that goes for
almost 2 years now. I for one want that fixed in 4.4 or whatever the
next release is.

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÜRNBERG