Gamma correction on G4 PowerBook

On my G4 PowerBook, this isn't much contrast for dark colors, whether
I use the LCD or a CRT monitor connected to it. When I look at the
same desktop from my RISC OS computer via a VNC client (and using the
same CRT monitor), images look OK. It seems that the PowerBook doesn't
do gamma correction by default. How can I do that? I've tried to add
a -gamma option in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, but images look terrible
(probably saturated, or as if I had a palette with few colors).

TIA,

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International