Re: ibook problems

On ven, sep 12 08:55
Adam Hewitt <ahewitt@globaldial.com> wrote :

> Hi All,
>
> Although I am still trying various things I am having problems with my
> ibook crashing when I close the lid. The power saving seems to be
> working ok ie the screen goes darker after a few minutes, followed by
> the screen going blank, and then the hard drives sleep...but if I close
> the lid and open it immediately X goes all wierd with multiple instances
> of everything spralled across the screen...although the mouse still
> works.

You should get Michel's /etc/power/pwrctl-local. I put it on my website
: http://brebis.org/debian/ibook/pwrctl-local . chmod +x it, install
pmud-utils, restart pmud daemon and you should be done.

> Secondly I think I am also having a heating problem. I have been doing a
> lot of kernel recompiles and after a while I hear the fan spin up and I
> can smell a burning smell coming from the back of the laptop. There
> isn't any smoke or any other signs of damage, however I am a tad
> concerned about it.

Maybe it's coming from the fact that you don't have a proper power
control on your ibook ? No problems here with Michel's file, once more.

> I am also having some problems getting X acceleration working. I have
> compiled the drm modules from Daenzer and they compiled and installed
> ok, however once I do that I reboot and lose X. X seems to start but all
> I get is a black screen.

Is your user a member of the dri group ? X accel won't work if your
XF86Config specifies this group at the end of the file.

I've put up a repository of the files I use for my iBook. Feel free
to get them. http://brebis.org/debian/ibook
--
Lucas Moulin <lucas@brebis.org> | http://brebis.org
"There's no point in democracy when ignorance is celebrated"