Re: help getting hw-accel OpenGL on Pismo

Michel Dänzer wrote:
On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 02:34, John M. Gabriele wrote:

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 16:55, John M. Gabriele wrote:

| The trick is: 16 bit color only! Yes, that will get DRM
| going on an 8MB Rage128 Mobility.

I'll try that when I get home,

Yup. It works for me in 16-bit. At least, I think it works...
glxgears, nearly full-screen gives me 69 frames / second,

The glxgears needs to stay in the original size for the framerates
to be anything like comparable, but this does sound like hardware
acceleration. You can compare with indirect software rendering by
setting the LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT environment variable.

Leaving the AGPMode at 1, and looking at glxgears, this time
at its default screen size, I get 468 frames / second. Full screen
is 66 frames/sec.

Setting `export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1' yeilds:
default size: 140 f/s
full screen:   17 f/s

[referring to output from the lspci command]
  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20010405 M3 AGP 1x
  OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2

That's weird -- should be AGP 2x, no?

Only if you use Option "AGPMode" "2" for the X server. Try on
> your own risk.

Risking it, :) I added that to the Device section of my XF86Config-4
file:

| Section "Device"
|         Identifier      "Pismo_card"
|         Driver          "ati"
|         BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
|         VideoRam        8192
|         Option          "UseFBDev"              "true"
|         Option          "AGPMode"               "2"
| EndSection

And it worked. :)

To sum up the glxgears framerates (rounding to the nearest frame/s):

                       default size       full-screen
                       ------------       -----------
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT      140                 17
AGPMode 1                  468                 66
AGPMode 2                  472                 67

(hmm... also weird: still that old 3.4.2 (!?))

That's the Mesa version the 3D driver is based on.

I only mention that it strikes me as weird because the current
version of Mesa is 5.0.2. -- Though, I know next-to-nothing of
how much work it takes to turn "Mesa the software renderer" into
"Mesa the DRI partner".

and /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows:

  (II) PCI: 00:10:0: chip 1002,4c46 card 1002,4c46 rev 02 class 03,00,00 hdr 00

  (--) PCI:*(0:16:0) ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF rev 2, Mem @ 0xa4000000/26,
    0xa0000000/14, I/O @ 0x0400/8, BIOS @ 0xa0020000/17

(Since it's referring to the ATI as on the PCI bus, I'm now guessing that
the AGP port must somehow or other be considered on the PCI bus...

AGP is basically extended PCI as far as software is concerned.

Neat. Thanks.

Funny thing is, my desktop and jpegs don't seem to look any different
>>to me. (?) Maybe it's me, or maybe this old Pismo LCD, dunno. :)

Indeed, the panel probably only does 6 bits per color component. AFAIK
this was the case for most affordable panels until recently at least.

Tricky!

Oh, also; now lspci tells me:
00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)

:)
---j