Re: recompiling alsa module w kernel 2.4.21-ben2

On Aug Wed 27 2003 07:25, Jean-Christophe Michel wrote:
> Thks, all worked.
>
> Now i have alsa running.
> But... still no sound :-)

OK :-) Lets see...

basic stuff... are you a member of audio group? To check execute groups
in a command line, and see if u are. If not, execute as root

adduser login_name audio

that will add the user login_name to group audio. If you are in a TTY,
logout and login again. If u are in X, close the X session and open it
again (no, closing the xterm doesn't work :-). Now that you are an audio
user, try and see if it works.

If not, make sure there is a /dev/dsp and a dev/snd/ folder. If not, you
have to run the sndconfig.sh or something like that in
/usr/src/modules/alsa-modules.

if there is /dev/snd/ and still u can't play, make sure you ahve run
alsaconf as root in the command line, and that you have selected there
powermac sound.

> gnome-alsa-mixer works without error. it's better!
>
> lsmod shows a lot of snd-*.
>
> > BTW, ALSA modules crash the laptop when going to sleep. You have to
> > unload the drivers BY HAND (the option in /etc/default/alsa for forcing
> > modules to unload, force_stop_modules_before_suspend=yes, DOESN'T work
> > for me) with a nice addition of /etc/init.d/alsa stop/start in the pmud
> > scripts.
>
> snooze doesn't appear to be a script, so you mean i should have an alias
> in my .bashrc ? what's the script running when i awake my laptop ?

Well... a man snooze tells me that unless you are running snooze with
the -f option, snooze will connect to pmud and issue a sleep command to
it. Then, this means that unless you have configured properly the
/etc/power/pwctrl script, that is, unless you have added the
/etc/init.d/alsa stop under the 'sleep)' section and the
/etc/init.d/alsa start under the 'wakeup)' section, the laptop will
crash with a kernel Oops. If you wanna se what is that, just press
gently (1-2 secs) the power button of your laptop, or close the lid. You
will have to hard reset the laptop by pressing the power button for 4-5
seconds. Wanna give it a go? :-)

If you need more help with this, just keep emailing, ok? I got into
extasis when I knew it was ALSA that was crashing my laptop and that a
little scripting could allow me to use the sleep function. Finally!! :-)

--
J. Javier Maestro
<jjmaestro@computer.org>