Re: recompiling alsa module w kernel 2.4.21-ben2

On Aug Tue 26 2003 21:47, Jean-Christophe Michel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on a Pismo 500 laptop on unstable.
> I cannot use sound, i have no module alsa.
> grep ALSA /usr/src/benh_kernel/.config shows nothing.

Mmmm... AFAIK ALSA only comes into the 2.6 kernels, doesn't it? SO
don't expect to find anything about ALSA in the kernel config...

Till then, I guess you will have to stick with the ALSA modules. You get
the source code with

apt-get install alsa-source

and a tar.gz should appear in /usr/src/. Now, if you uncompress that
tarball, it will expand a folder in /usr/src/modules. After you have
configured your kernel with CONFIG_SOUND=y and no other option for
drivers (you will use the alsa modules, no need for the dmasound thingie
in the kernel), you compile it with a

make-kpkg --revision host.version kernel-image

After that, you run a

make-kpkg modules-image

and if you cd .. you will find a nice kernel-image*.deb and another
alsa*.deb, etc. You have to dpkg -i kernel-image*.deb first, then the
ALSA one, and as root, you have to make sure you have run the
/usr/src/modules/alsa-modules/sndconfig.sh or something like that. This
will create the device nodes necessary for ALSA to run.

(All this steps are recalling from my head, so people out there, correct
 me if I'm wrong, it has been quite long since I donwloaded ALSA!!)

> I tried to load alsa-source but don't know how to compile it
> with make-kpkg : modules target builds /usr/src/modules
> and not /lib/modules...

Well my friend... /lib/modules is the dir where the kernel binary
modules are stored... so I don't think a make-kpkg will ever touch that.
When you dpkg -i then it gets installed there.

> Is sound not working linked to a bad kernel config ?
> How do i compile alsa ? do i need to ?

ALSA is not needed, but is usually recommended. It has better quality
than OSS (so people say), but hey, if the kernel driver is enough for
you, stick with it! It is _very_ easy to configure... just tick the
option of PowerBook sound or something like that in the kernel!

BTW, ALSA modules crash the laptop when going to sleep. You have to
unload the drivers BY HAND (the option in /etc/default/alsa for forcing
modules to unload, force_stop_modules_before_suspend=yes, DOESN'T work
for me) with a nice addition of /etc/init.d/alsa stop/start in the pmud
scripts.

> Thks

No problem.

--