Re: Debian fitness :) [was: Re: X Crash after installing msttcorefonts, [ ... ]]

On 22 Aug 2003, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 18:30, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > So when I was writing on sometimes lousy organization
> > of Debian software I tried to point the finger to the
> > usability of the software, not to its quality:
>
> And you tried to do that by speculating that anybody contributing to
> Debian probably is a loser without a life?

No. I was not talking about those contributing to Debian but on Debian
users:

Quoting myself:
"Situations like that is why I say that Debian-Linux does not work for
people with a girl-friend or a family, or for folks who need to get a
job done on a computer in a reasonable amount of time. Or for folks
who simply like watching shadows on the wall (John Lennon :) or the
stars above them.

I'd guess it's a system for folks not knowing what to do with their
lives if they had a working OS on their computer."

And to avoid future misunderstandings: I  didn't write on all Debian
users, but above all about myself. And about all those in a situation
perhaps similar to mine: Trying to get a system running with docs as
described elsewhere in this thread. And trying to set it up
with trial-and-error methods, for reasons I also tried to describe
here.

> Interesting approach... for
> some reason though, it didn't work for me.
>
> > Who can use software without knowing how it works?
>
> There's only one way to know how it works: look at the source.
>
> > To know what I mean one might try to find some docs
> > about msttcorefonts that are shipped with the tool .. :)
>
> I'm looking forward to your contributions to improve the situation.

This thread was a try.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--