Re: EMAIL SCAN:VIRUS ALERT! IN ATTACHMENT~YOUR DETAILS

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:33:05 +0100, "paulcwatts"
<paulcwatts@lineone.net> wrote:

> I received an e-mail from you - my virus detection software indicates
> that the attachment to your message contains a virus - see below.
>
> I have no idea how I came to be on your list of contacts.

Because, simply put, you didn't receive an email from us. You received a
forged message with a From: header of this mailing list, and because of
these stupid virus scanners along with unaware users, lists.debian.org
has been barraged with false, worthless alerts.

So in essence, it's bad enough that whoever pulled this stunt used an
easily forged header to send out mass-virus mailings. But then because
these autoresponders are poorly designed and implemented, and the users
actually believe the messages originated from someplace they didn't, the
abusers score twice!

(cc'd and posted.)

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer	    [sl@eskimo.com]