Re: MOL fails on bootloader

Hi,

Lucas Moulin <lucas@brebis.org> writes:

> > Looks as if mol cannot find a bootable disk.  There are several
> > reasons why this may happen:
> >
> > 1. You do not have Mac OS X installed.  Insert a Mac OS X installation
> >    CD and run `startmol --osx --cdboot'.  Anyway, it is unlikely that
> >    you wouldn't know there was no Mac OS on your machine.
>
> No, actually it's not installed.  I've got a Linux-only system, and
> I tought mol would make me install MacOS X at the first launch.  So
> I tried your command-line, everything works fine until I get to the
> "Choose destination" screen, where none can be selected...  Do I
> have to make a HFS+ partition in order to install mol or can it be
> installed on an ext3 partition within, say, my /home ?

As I explained, by default mol is set to scan (almost) all available
hard disks and feed the HFS+ partitions that are not mounted
read-write by Linux to the Mac OS.  You want to edit
/etc/mol/molrc.osx and explicitly specify an unused block device or
file.  If you force mol to use it, then it is not necessary to create
a file system beforehand (there is no easily available mkfs.hfsplus
for Linux anyway).  So the line should be something like

 blkdev: /dev/hda42 -rw -force

or

 blkdev: /home/macosx -rw -force

In the latter case, you have to create an empty file of the
appropriate size first (like, `dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/macosx bs=1M
count=5k' for a 5Gigabyte "disk").  And in the former case, make sure
you don't trash a Linux partition by accident!

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!