re:kernel patch problem

I figured out the answer to why I couldnt apply the patch to my kernel--
I had been trying to patch the file in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 that I had made several ppc kernels from. What I did that worked was to backup the dir linux-2.4.20 to linux20-bak, then unzip the kernel package again at /usr/src and patch the new (virgin) dir /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 with patch-2.4.21. Then make a new kernel using the old config file in linux20-bak.
gmc