Re: swiss german keyboard config needed (xev results)

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 15:23, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 12:40, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, I got it. It's a bit wierd to get to Mutli_key, but it works OK as a
> > > default.
> >
> > Yeah, Multi_key should only rarely be needed anyway.
>
> Actually, I use it all the time. For a US keyboard, with no special chars
> engraved on the keys, Multi_key + ^ + u = û is the only way to type û. So in
> the US, Mode_switch is rarely used (though using the en_US keymap makes
> Mode_switch useful for characters like ¡ or ¿)

I'm using a US keymap as well, and I have customized the 'a', 'o' and
'u' keys to yield umlauts on the third and fourth level. I mean,
Multi_key is clumsy to use, whether it requires shift or not, isn't it?
:)

> Another thing is that the fn+logo and shift+enter solutions both have the same
> problem ... and the same solution. To use the fn+logo key to get, say, the {
> character on a Swiss keyboard, press fn, then logo, then release fn, and
> press the 9, which will be the same finger-gymnastics with the Shift+Enter.
> So the fn+logo isn't dead after all. :)

Heh, I'd consider Enter-Shift-<key> much more intuitive and easier to
use than fn-Enter-<fn release>-Shift-<key> though... (same for

> > > Another problem will be the Enter symbol. Is that expendable?
> >
> > I think so, but we could make it available with fn, which would be
> > consistent with the rest of the numeric keypad?
>
> Perhaps, but there's a problem. According to Apple's docs on this keyboard,
> fn+Enter is supposed to be the Windows Menu key. Unfortunately, it is a copy
> of the PageUp key (X keycode 99).

D'oh, I wondered what 'Prior' means...

> Now, I had noticed that there was a similar problem with fn+logo,
> where the X keycode was 222. However, since I upgraded my kernel from
> stock Debian 2.4.19 to stock Debian 2.4.21, the problem with fn+logo
> is fixed (the X keycode is 116, like it should be.

[...]

> But, if that can be fixed, I actually think it's a good idea to be consistient
> with the rest of the fn-keypad.

Yes, let's hope this can be fixed, but otherwise no worries either I
guess, unless someone comes up with a case where KP_Enter is
indispensable? (it had better be important though :)

On a related note, the keycodes of the volume keys have changed in the
2.6 kernel, fn+enter is still the same as pg up though.