Re: Keyboard on X with missing keys

I'm missing the bar sign, the @ sign (I had to paste this one from the address
in the header), bracketleft, bracketright, EuroSign and I don't know what
else on the keyboard on X.

Same here, on an iBook2 700Mhz. I ended up writing my own ~/.Xmodmap which i load when I login.
I also had to generated my own consolemaps.

OS is Debian/sid FYI, what distro are you using?

For the console: no EuroSign, that I found, but the other important signs as
@, bracketleft, bracketright, bar etc. are available.

I.e. my main problem is the keyboard on X.

See [1] for the relevant part of my .Xmodmap, I just pass this file to xmodmap to get all the needed keys in X.

So how do I install a working keyboard? Docs, good (!) docs, not just snippets
of knowledge, somewhere?

I basicly "googled my way to freedom", I haven't even found a table with a complete desciption of all xmodmap entrys, e.g. that | is bar.
IIRC the YDL pages also have some docs about this.

I know I could simply do something like:
cd /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz
cp mac-usb-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz /etc/console/boottime.gz

No! The mac- keymap has includes whereas the boottime keymaps must be a single file. There is a command to resolve all the dependencys and put the includes in one file, yet I forgot what this was.

But I'm careful with this as I did not find a way to check a newly installed
boottime.gz on the *running* system, i.e. before rebooting. After all with the
wrong keymap I won't be able to even log in, if my guess is right.

Indeed, and unlike a broken kernelmodule booting another kernel doesn't help it.
Yet you can try a keymap temporarily with 'loadkeys'.
Also check the keycodes via showkey.
For X the aforementioned "xmodmap -e 'keycode x = y' + 'xev' to get the keycode helps.

[ ADB or not ADB - that is the question... ]

I was also wondering about this, yet now I boot my 2.4.21-benh2 with keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 and it works - more or less. So I think "Never change a running system" and the 31 bytes more in the memory shouldn't hurt.

Maybe also have a look at
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes.{de.,}html

My brain hurts :), after hours without good answers from WWW.

Thanks in anticipation.

"I feel your pain, brother" :)

   -Thomas

[1]
----

! compose key is shift+apple, i.e. compose,e,' = é
keycode 115 = Mode_switch Multi_key
! a second Enter?? pfff
keycode 108 = Delete

keycode 46 = l L at