Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll: Distro for audio and MIDI development

Ole-Egil Hvitmyren escribe el 24/07/03 09:49:
from a subjective point of view

Please note that I am into Internet forums and mailing lists because I
am most interested in subjective points of view. :)

Maarten De Boer wrote:
This is a nice coincidence, because I just installed Debian Sid ('unstable') on my home workstation.
Personally, I run unstable on workstations both at home (AmigaOne)
and at work (P4 PC), but I have both Woody and Sarge installed, one
on each of my RS/6k workstations.

Another coincidence. Finnaly I am staying at Debian Sid as my
development platform. First of all, it is not much more "unstable" than
Mandrake (I again tried its nice 9.1), second of all, I am on the
bleeding edge and I want to develop using the latest technologies
available for linux, third of all, testing "testing" or testing
"unstable" and reporting bugs is a nice way of supporting its development.

Sid is "unstable" so shouldn't use for work, but come on.

Sid is "unstable" so their developers don't recommend you using it in an
environment where stability is a must. Full stop.

Anyway, choosing Debian was ok for a lot of people, but there's
always someone who just CAN'T keep from buying newer and bigger and
better, so suddenly we had a gazillion users with Radeon 8x00 and
9x00 cards out there.

I don't know about other countries, but here in Spain we have the added
problem that many cutting edge hardware is often provided by unreliable
OEM. It even sometimes can't be put working using retail drivers for
Windows, so you can do the math about the results using Linux drivers...

The problem is that when one distribution is named "stable", people
who are new to Debian think the others must suck badly.

Maybe. Anyway, it makes sense calling it "stable". I find a Debian Woody server running over good PC hardware (Intel chipset, branded memory, etc.) as powerful and reliable as any HP-UX or even Solaris out there.

Well, as far as I know, "sid" is not only the name of a Toy Story character, but also an acronym for "system in development". I would call the three flavours "stable", "testing" and "development" and leave apart the word "unstable" which most often is not proper.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel Debian has some way to go before our marketing skills are on par with the other distributions.

Debian doesn't need "marketing skills" as it is not a company.

Regards, Ismael