Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll: Distro for audio and MIDI development

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 09:49, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:

> Basically, I've discovered that people are _terminally_ afraid of using
> testing or unstable, and not because of security holes (these people
> surf the net with AmigaOS on a daily basis. AmigaOS doesn't have a
> concept of memory protection. You do the math). But because of the
> names. They think they have to run stable on their workstations because
> otherwise things will crash all the time.

That's why I always say 'sid' instead of 'unstable'. I like 'testing'
better than 'sarge' though, at least as long as it isn't anywhere near a
release.

> [...] XFree86 should get higher priority, it's been stuck at 4.2.1
> in Debian for ages now, and there's VERY good reasons for upgrading
> to 4.3.0 if you buy new hardware.

You only need the X server for hardware support though, which my
dri-trunk packages provide, even for woody.

Otherwise, you're welcome to join the X Strike Force and get 4.3 for sid
moving forward. :)

> The problem is that when one distribution is named "stable", people
> who are new to Debian think the others must suck badly. If the
> naming was changed so you had something to the effect of "server",
> "workstation" and "devel", people would get the idea. Am I making
> sense here?

Maybe, but this isn't the right place to discuss this. -project or
-devel would be better.

FWIW, I don't think these names are absolutely better. There are valid
reasons for running stable on a workstation (in particular in controlled
environments like corporations or government agencies) and testing or
sid on a server, for example.

> So some people go for other distributions instead of upgrading Debian,
> because they DO NOT WANT TO RUN non-stable systems, and they think that
> since Yellow Dog 3.0 is released, while Sarge is "testing" (since Woody
> is "stable" this implies a lack of stability). All in all, they end up
> with the EXCACT same software as if they had gone for Sarge, but it
> doesn't SEEM like that because of the names.

There isn't much that can be done about the fact that choice confuses
some people, is there? ;)

> Sorry for the rant, but I feel Debian has some way to go before our
> marketing skills are on par with the other distributions.

Maybe because we don't do marketing at all? :) We don't have a product
we need to sell, after all.