Re: 2.6-test1 on ppc?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:31:33AM +0900, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 15:41:35 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:53:48PM +0900, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > If the 2.4.21-benh kernel is so good, why is there a buggy
> > > kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc package but no kernel-image-2.4.21-benh
> > > package in Debian?
> >
> > Because it is the 'stable' kernel ? Seriously, you find
> > kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc package to be buggy, what bugs are you
> > exactly speaking and did you fill bug reports for them ?
>
> Well, I posted a message to debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org on July 17
> about this ("Can no longer change the brightness with F1/F2 on my
> PowerBook"). I've just filled a bug report (bug 202602).

Well, i was busy at linuxtag/debconf this last days, and i did not have
very much time to read the lists, and thus i missed this one, but
anyway, if you find a bug, you should fill a bug report, and not expect
the maintainer to read every single mail of the mailing list, especially
one whose title don't make it evident that it is a kernel problem.

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 16:48:18 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > You can be sure that the Debian 2.4.21 kernel source (or patch) is based
> > on BenH's source tree. That explains why there's no
> > kernel-image-2.4.21-benh package (kernel-image-2.4.21-newpmac would be
> > impossible without Bens work). For all practical purpose the two would be
> > identical (right, Sven?).
>
> I've been told that kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc wasn't based on Ben's
> source tree. So, on which sources is it based? And where can I find
> kernel-image-2.4.21-newpmac?

Well, the history of the powerpc kernel tree is a bit confused, even to
me. As i could gather, there are :

 The kernel.org tree, also called marcello's tree.

 The linuxppc_2_4 tree, which is used for the kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc package.

 The linuxppc_2_4_devel tree.

 The linuxppc_2_5 tree.

 The benh tree.

What is packaged as kernel-image-2.4.21-powerpc is the linuxppc_2_4
tree and is considered as the stable powerpc tree.

The benh tree is also packaged for debian, but not by me, and maybe not
as an official package, and contain more pmac specific stuff.

Friendly,

Sven Luther