Re: X won't log in (was Re: Xpmac can't find font 'fixed')

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 17:20, Frank Murphy wrote:

> > To those who wanted the logs, it was actually at /var/log/xdm.log
> > And, to those who are saying that it's unsupported, the 'real' X server
> > doesn't seem to support valkyrie video devices.
>
> The Xpmac seems to only log to the display manager, not to the Xfree86
> location.

I guess Xpmac doesn't write any log file at all and xdm just logs its
stdout/stderr.

> But Xpmac is unsupported in Debian (which is why you had to compile
> it yourself), so that means that valkyrie video devices are unsupported in
> Debian.

Unsupported? The fbdev driver should work with it, at least with
valkyriefb.

> But you might still get it to work. If you can, perhaps you could
> make a package for others who might need it.

No, Xpmac was a hack that was supposed to die a long time ago. Compared
to the current XFree86 server, the list of its missing features and
added bugs must be truly horrifying.