Re: X won't log in (was Re: Xpmac can't find font 'fixed')

(I switched X back to Xpmac before all of this)
I actually didn't compile it - I found a .deb and installed it using dpkg. I turned authorization off as you said, and now I get a cooler-looking login screen, along with a little output-only console in the bottom right. When I enter my name/pass, the console prints "(xdm) session opened by uid" and the rest is cut off at the edge of the screen. The screen flickers, goes out, and then comes back with the login screen again with the message "(xdm) session closed for user steven" in the little console thingy. I logged in via SSH to grab the logs, and the console thingy told me that I had logged via SSH. xdm.log shows this:

steven@www:~$ cat /var/log/xdm.log
Woowoo

Xpmac / X Window System (X11R6.3)
Release Date: April 10, 2000

Running in mode=13, depth=8; req mode=0 depth=0
Using VT number 7
Mapped frame buffer (physaddr 0xf1001000 size 0x7ec10) at 0x30027000.
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Using XFree86/Linux keycode handling.
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Using XFree86/Linux keycode handling.
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Using XFree86/Linux keycode handling.
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Using XFree86/Linux keycode handling.
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
Using XFree86/Linux keycode handling.

Doesn't look too bad this time, except for the PEX font. What else could stop me from logging in?
Thanks,
Steven