apt-get update

I hate to display my ignorance but I am stumped by a very simple thing.
I have woody installed on a new world imac. I want to upgrade to testing or unstable but I cannot find where to indicate the release. I have a 686 machine that I upgraded to unstable and in that version the target release is entered as the default in /etc/apt/apt.conf. There is no such file in this distribution and I cant find a substitute or get any help from various manuals and HOWTO's.
Thanks gfrick