Re: Powerbook G4 getting very hot. Solution?

On 18/07/2003 at 09:58, Pander wrote:

> at power-save speed it doesn't produce as much heat as in full-speed
> mode. I've written this 'deamon' to control it.

My iBook also becomes quite hot after some time of use in this season.
In my case, the responsible is the hard disk. I use this daemon:

http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/cpudyn/

that sets powersave/performance modes dynamically (I do not notice any
performance degradation, it works quite well).

It also puts the disk in standby mode after a preset number of seconds
without activity. You have to tune a little bit your daemons so that
they do not make innecessary disk reads(*) too often (wich for me was
the case of postfix, before switching to exim).

In conjunction with laptop-mode (available in 2.4.21-ben*), it results
in quite long periods of time with the disk not spinning at all.

(*) If you use this laptop-mode, disk writes are not "too harmful" in
this case, because they are delayed.

All in all, the improvement in the temperature is quite noticeable.

--
Kiko