Re: Powerbook G4 getting very hot. Solution?

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

Hi all,

this might be a topic that's been discussed here already before: But what
I found on Google on the subject, IIRC, didn't say anything on whether
there is a *solution* for the problem. Or isn't there any?

I had the same question and problem.

What I have:
Kernel: 2.4.18-newpmac

2.4.21-ben2

Hardware:
Powerbook3.5 (version = 3.2)
867 MHz
768 MB SDRAM

The problem is the machine is getting very hot at the bottom side of the
metal case when running Linux. It does not get that hot under Mac OS X.

So my simple question: will, or can, this situation change after
installing a fresher kernel? Or other software?

My guess is that the fan isn't on as often as it is in OSX, I don't know where the control for this is.

I'm getting nervous because the metal around the ethernet jack has become
darker (not black, but darker), looks like the result of heat there.  As
far as I can see: This is the only place where the metal case has become
dark on the outer surface of the case. I didn't have a look at the inside
of the machine in the last few weeks ..

And one message from this forum some time ago, if I recall it correctly,
clearly said that heat can become dangerous for hardware ...

or your own personel hardware, watch out that you don't burn your private parts, haha

Solution? Or none?

at power-save speed it doesn't produce as much heat as in full-speed mode. I've written this 'deamon' to control it.

cpu-full-speed

#!/bin/sh
#
# manage CPU clock frequency

set -e

CPU_INFO=/proc/cpuinfo
CPU_FREQ=/proc/cpufreq

if [ -f $CPU_INFO -a -f $CPU_FREQ ]
then
       case `awk '$1 ~ /detected/ {print $4}' $CPU_INFO` in
       287)
               # 287 (PowerBook G4 12")
               case "$1" in
               start)
                       echo -n "0%100%100%performance" > $CPU_FREQ
                       echo -n "CPU clock frequency at full-speed: "
                       awk '$1 ~ /clock/ {print $3}' $CPU_INFO
                       ;;
               stop)
                       # 0%0%0 results in 0%61%61
                       echo -n "0%0%0%performance" > $CPU_FREQ
                       echo -n "CPU clock frequency at power-save: "
                       awk '$1 ~ /clock/ {print $3}' $CPU_INFO
                       ;;
               status)
                       echo -n "CPU clock frequency at "
                       if [ -z "`grep "(100 %)" $CPU_FREQ`" ]
                       then
                               echo -n "full-speed: "
                       else
                               echo -n "power-save: "
                       fi
                       cat $CPU_INFO | grep clock | awk '{print $3}'
                       ;;
               *)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/cpu-full-speed {start|stop|status}" >&2
                       exit 1
                       ;;
               esac
               ;;
       *)
               exit 0
               ;;
       esac
fi

exit 0

What would be nice is that this thing would go (automatically) to full-speed as early as possibly when you boot, then after booting set it (automatically) to power-save. Then it should be so that the user can set it to full or power save when he or she wants. This is good for saving power when travelling and controlling the heat on this thing. In winter the heat is not so much a problem as in sommer.

But I'm also looking for a way to increase fan activity on this machine.

Bye,

Pander

Thanks in anticipation.

Best Regards