Solved with fresh(er) kernels [was: Re: Powerbook G4 getting very hot. Solution?]

On 17 Jul 2003, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 20:42, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > What I have:
> > Kernel: 2.4.18-newpmac
> >
> > Hardware:
> > Powerbook3.5 (version = 3.2)
> > 867 MHz
> > 768 MB SDRAM
> >
> > The problem is the machine is getting very hot at the bottom side of the
> > metal case when running Linux. It does not get that hot under Mac OS X.
> >
> > So my simple question: will, or can, this situation change after
> > installing a fresher kernel?
>
> A recent benh kernel might certainly help.

Thanks a lot, it worked:

In the meantime I upgraded from the kernel installed from IIRC the Debian
installation CD (2.4.18-newpmac) to 2.4.20-powerpc and now 2.4.21-ben2.

The heat on the powerbook isn't a problem anymore now:
IIRC both the 2.4.20-powerpc and especially the 2.4.21-ben2 kernel seem to be a
very effective solution to the heat problem on the Powerbook G4:

Since I installed the 2.4.20-powerpc some days ago the machine case didn't
become as warm as in times when I had the 2.4.18-newpmac installed. If I'm
seeing this correctly the machine doesn't get more warm than running it in Mac
OS X.
I never measured the exact temperature: just a quick check with the hand on the
machine case.

So thanks to everyone contributing to these new kernels, above all to Benjamin
Herrenschmidt.

And last, but not least:
Thanks, too, to all the posters in this thread mentioning additional approaches
to the problem. I'll have a closer look at the suggestions at a later time,
after I managed to get a working X here ... :)

Bye.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang

--