Re: WARNING: libc6 in unstable

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 09:33:22AM +0200, Mich Lanners wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> To those that are tracking unstable and haven't noticed (or haven't been
> caught :-) yet:
>
> DON'T upgrade to libc6-2.3.1-17.0.1 in unstable. It breaks your system!
> See for instance:
>
> If you have already upgraded, try to downgrade _before_ rebooting the
> system.
>
> Although I had no problem when installing this version, my system
> wouldn't boot anymore afterwards: init segfaulted during startup.
>
> Had to burn a root CD from another PPC system and boot that one to put
> back the old glibc...

I got burnt with this one too. I had also upgraded a few other things,
so I wasn't sure which was the problem. I ended up re-installing the
base system, which is NOT advised, believe me. I had to reinstall
everything.

Since re-installing the base system overwrites the status file, my
machine had no idea what software had been installed. I wonder if a
utility for apt would be useful to reconstruct the status file from
what's on disk.

>From the debian-reference, I got the clue to use /usr/share/doc as a
package list, and combined that with a list gleaned from
/var/lib/dpkg/info using sed. Then I did dpkg --set-selections to set
their status to 'install'. The only problem was then I still had to
download 1G of packages which in reality were already here.

Does anyone know of a better solution for lusers like me who make
this mistake?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People