Re: Another quik/beige G3 boot attempt

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 05:17:14PM +0200, Simon Vallet wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently trying to boot a Beige G3 (OFv2.4) with quik, and I keep getting "CLAIM failed!" messages.

Whenever you get CLAIM FAILED, before re-trying, use reset-all.
The memory map is hosed after CLAIM FAILED.

> This topic has already been discussed on this list, but the solutions didn't work for me: here is what I did :
> - downloaded System Disk 2.3.1 and applied the OF patch
> - downloaded the modified first.b : quik-first.b-g3, copied it under /target/boot/first.b

Did you actually run quik after this step? Running quik places the
first.b code in the boot block. If you are in the installer, you
will need to use quik -r /target to do this.

> - set auto-boot? to false and rebooted
>
> At the OF prompt, i tried the following values for load-base (it seems that "CLAIM failed !" messages indicate an incorrect value for this setting) :
> 4000, 60000, 100000, 600000(NetBSD), and 1000000.

I don't really believe changing load-base makes a difference ...

> Did _someone_ succeed to boot a beige G3 using quik ?

It's been done, rarely. I think Michel Lanners is an example in
the archives.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People