Re: External CDROM RW through USB

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:04:46PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Has anyone had success hooking up external cdrom through the USB?  Does
> it have to be MAC compliant?  I came into a Pacific Digital drive which
> would be great to use on my iBook if possible.  Of course, I'm talking
> about using it under Debian and not OSX.

Hi,

yes it is quite easy. I got a freecom classic drive here. You
integrate some usb modules for your drive in the kernel and it will
work great. Well, you have to take a look at the usb mass storage
support of the kernel if your drive is supported. Maybe one needs some
scsi emulation stuff selected during kernel configuration to make
these options visible.

Further it does not have to be mac compliant. Usb is usb. You just
have to be lucky that drivers for this cdrom and the usbbridge exist.

olliwolli