Re: External CDROM RW through USB

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> Has anyone had success hooking up external cdrom through the USB?  Does
> it have to be MAC compliant?  I came into a Pacific Digital drive which
> would be great to use on my iBook if possible.  Of course, I'm talking
> about using it under Debian and not OSX.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but related - I was able to help
someone make a USB ZIP drive accessible under a x86 version of linux.
If I remember correctly, you need to have the SCSI-generic module and
the usb_mass_storage (or something similar) module to be able to use
hot plug USB drives in linux.  They usually show up as SCSI drives if
they are found and mounted.

To get my real e-mail address, replace "4" with "for" in the above address