Re: connecting a Mac to a PC

you have to assign ip adresses in the same subnet:
eg: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 with a subnetmask 255.255.255.0
which means that everything in the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 is
in your nertwork
after assigning the IP properly check, weather you can ping the other
box. type:
ping 192.168.0.1 (or the ip of the other box) in a shell and in a DOS box
and see, weather there is a reply!

if you want detailed instructions on networking, tell me

PS: as otheres said smbmount is also possible, but i think scp is the
easyest way, plus it is secure, so it is good to get used to it.