Re: Netbooting Woody on an Imac

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:38:08PM +0200, Antoine Brenner wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I just network installed a debian 3.0 (woody) on an Apple
> Imac (G3 350MHz) with 128 MB of RAM, and here are some
> tips for doing it.

Thanks for writing this up.

> EXECUTIVE SUMMARY FOR DEVELOPPERS:
> There is a problem with the bootfloppies if you want to
> install yaboot. (the mac equivalent of lilo) :
> mac-fdisk is not available until the system is installed
> and the yabootconfig script does not work until the system
> is rebooted.

mac-fdisk is included on the powermac or new-powermac root.bin;
apparently you used the prep root.bin below. I see how this
happened, the install manual points to the already-prepared
prep/boot.bin, which is actually a prep kernel combined with
a prep root.bin filesystem.

How does your system work with a root.bin from the powermac
folder? If you post a revised write up, I'll add it to the
install manual.

< snip >

> I used the root.bin as stated from the Installation manual
> section "11.2.3.1.3 TFTP boot images" from
> debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/prep/images-1.44/root.bin
> And I used the yaboot from
> debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/yaboot

< snip >

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People