Re: Great Debian / KDE! But, I can`t print and can`t hear any sound!

José Leônidas Bier Brasileiro wrote:

Hello There!

I just installed Debian and KDe in my 233 iMac (after a few bumps) and I'm amazed with its looks and speed. I enjoyed a lot knowing that "there is intellingent life outside of Windows/Office".

But I can't configure may USB printer and I don't have sound! I researched a little bit and apparently I will have to rebuild the kernel. Is that so? Isn`t that a dangerous thing for a newbie to perform? How do I do it?

Well, I wouldn't say it's dangerous. But it can be a bit tricky. Are you sure you need to rebuild your kernel? There's s few ready made kernels in Debian you could try out, might be easier for a newbie :-)

I would appreciate a lot some help.

The other thing is that I can't put my USB floppy drive and my ZIP-100 drive to work. Once again in my little research I found out that it is necessary to "mount them". How do I do it? Is it needed to "mount/unmount" them every single time one turns on/off the system?

For this I use autofs, set up to mount in sync mode and unmount after a second or two (I use a lot longer timeout for network filesystems though). Basically, I just pop in a CD, access the files I need, eject with the button on the front of the drive. Same with USB CF adapters and floppies.

You'll need autofs enabled in the kernel for this to work.

Good luck, ok?

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/