Re: Mol still thinks I have an old kernel module installed...

On 17 Jun 2003 15:18:11 +0200
Jens Schmalzing <jens.schmalzing@physik.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

<snip>

> Nah, looks Debian specific.  I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember
> that people running the 2.4.18-newpmac kernel had problems with mol
> because this kernel was part of the installation system and there was
> no matching kernel-headers package.  The solution would be to upgrade
> to kernel-image-2.4.20-powerpc and install mol-modules-2.4.20 along
> with it.
>
> Regards, Jens.

Thanks for you help here, Jens. I've installed 2.4.20, and the correct
modules for MOL.

I now have another question about networking. I can't get it to work on
MOL. When MOL starts up it complains:

Mac-on-Linux 0.9.69 Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Samuel Rydh
Starting MOL session 1
The kernel module '/lib/modules/2.4.20-powerpc/misc/tun.o' appears to be
missing.
<snip>
---> DHCP server not installed
Ethernet Interface 'tun-<tun1>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE
<snip>
<*> Ethernet driver 1.1
<*> Bad ifragsize
<*> MolAudio 1.1 (fragment 32768/1024)
<*> MolEnet: Link up at 100 Mbps - Full Duplex
+ Video Driver v1.12

Alright, so my first question is, how do I get tun.o to be found? Or
maybe more accurate, where do I go to get it installed, as an 'ls' of
the directory in question results in this:

mannequin@cora:/lib/modules/2.4.20-powerpc/misc$ ls
mol.o  molsymglue.o  sheep.o

Next, my network doesn't use DHCP. So I would have to manually assign an
IP number.

Last, I then see the 'Bad ifragsize' error pop up under the driver
number. Does this have to do with the previous error on 'tun.o' missing?

For some reference, I do have a tun device in /dev/net.

One last thing, that may not have anything to do with this: I used to
have networking up through 'sheep.o' on the version of MOL 0.95.x that I
was using before I upgraded and it broke. Because I don't use AppleTalk,
would it be easier to use 'sheep.o' for TCP/IP since I don't use DHCP?
If so, how would I go about getting it to work under the latest version
of MOL/testing and OSX 10.2.6?

Thanks again for your help,
-Mannequin