Re: Configuring XFree86 on PowerBook G3 Lombard (Bronze)

> X complained that the VerRefresh and HorizSync values were out of range so I
> lowered them (VertRefresh = 39.5-70 and HorizSync = 30-57) and things are
> working nicely. Thank you!

Yep, that seems required for the Lombard panel. Either the vertical
refresh rate is really that low, or X internally doubles the rate. I'm
sure you can somehow measure the rates to figure out what's up....

> How critical are these values - Are they only referrence values for X to
> work within? i.e., minimum & maximum values?

These values are safe boundaries for X to calculate mode timings. In
theory, it might be possible to damage badly designed hardware by using
grossly out of range settings. I doubt it's critical in this case (I'm
using the weird settings for over a year now IIRC).

> Also, what affect do the "DMAMode"/"mmio" arguments have? The default
> arguments (added by debconf) were "UseFBDev"/"true"

X 4.2.1 runs fine with neither of them. I've noticed little difference
with or without the DMAMode option.... running x11perf with either config
should tell if that's actually true.

	Michael