Re: ibook troubles after dist-upgrade

Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
I had the same problem. i noticed, that when booting with init=/bin/sh
mount reports /proc already mounted, which seems very strange to me.

I then deleted /etc/mtab (don't forget to sync!) and now everything
works fine. So there must have been somthing wrong with /etc/mtab, that
confused mount.

/etc/mtab is no configuration file. This file is used by the mount command to store the currently mounted devices. It is written to everytime you mount/unmount a device.

I now think that my problem is that S10loadkeymap in /etc/rc2.d is a left-over from a previous woody/console-common installation.

There are two links to /etc/init.d/keymap.sh - one in /etc/rcS.d and the one in /etc/rc2.d. Since the one in rcS.d is excecuted before the other scripts in /etc/rcS.d, the (un)mounting of /proc does not disturb, because /etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot mounts it again. It is not clear to me why the keymap should be loaded during the rcS.d phase as well as under another run-level.

Interestingly, /etc/rc2.d does not contain any link to /etc/init.d/keymap.sh on all of my x86 machines....

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria