Re: ibook 2000 kernel config, install config

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Torben Brosten wrote:

> I understand Ext3 is Ext2 + journalling. When formatting hda11, there
> was no choice for partition type Ext3 or Ext2. Are you saying that
> Ext3 and Ext2 are formatted differently (default format Ext2)?

You are correct, i.e. ext3 = ext2 + journalling. To make the switch, all
you would have to do is to use tune2fs on the /dev entry corresponding
to your filesystem, and change the line in /etc/fstab to mount the FS as
ext3 instead of ext2.  One thing that I realized today is that an ext3
partition can be mounted as an ext2 by just changing that entry in your
/etc/fstab file.  However, the opposite is NOT true, i.e. one cannot
mount ext2 as ext3 without first explicitly creating the journal file on
that partition (via tune2fs).

cheers
vinai

(change "4" to "for" to get my actual e-mail)