Re: Undelete?

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 07:17:53AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:36:53AM -0400, karrottop wrote:
> > I have got a bit of a problem.  I installed Debian on a G4 tower
> > and I have no idea why but it looks like linux installed itself on
> > my HFS partition that I have a lot of documents etc on.
<snip>
> > I would assume that their is some utility I can use to recover
> > from this, be it a mac app or a linux app...any suggestions?

I did this once, and it's a horrible feeling.  But all I can really
offer you is sympathy.  It's just like your house burning down or your
computer getting stolen: everything's gone, and you just have to start
again from scratch.  Norton Utilities has some facility for scanning
your disk for fragments of deleted files, but with Debian already
overwritten on a (presumably) large portion of the partition, you're
not going to get much.

But, of course, as Chris Tillman pointed out, you should know exactly
why linux "installed itself" on that partition: because you told it
to.  There is no more infuriating, disappointing, hopeless mistake one
can make on a computer.  But once I made it, I tried to turn my loss
into relief: very rarely in life do we start with a completely clean
slate, and after putting a lot of yourself into files on your computer
and then losing those files (a year after the partitioning incident I
my iBook was stolen, so this has happened to me twice, one way or
another) your slate is about as clean as it can be.

I've started making backups.  This is the reason why paritioners and
installers recommend you backup your data first: not because the
program has a very high likelihood of eating your disk, but because
you, as an operator, can only keep track of so much.

O.