Re: Newbie problems

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:05:56AM -0400, Jule Slootbeek wrote:
> Hmm when i put in an audio CD and open KsCD it refuses to play, could it have
> anything to do with the fact hat i disabled artsd at startsup? since it gave
> me this error?
>
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed - Invalid argument
>
> i read somewhere that i can change the sound quality to 8 bits, and when i do
> that manually "artsd -b 8" it doesn't give me this error, but KsCD still does
> not play the audio CD.
>
> Jule

Hmm. Try cdcd, which plays the CD in analogue mode (ie through the jack on
the front of the CD drive, and through the analogue (4-wire) jack on the
back). If that works, then you can talk to your CD drive OK.

I dunno. Is artsd what KsCD's trying to use to play sound? What does
KsCD do when you try to play your CD with it? (Might be worth running
it from an xterm instead of the menu system so you can see all its
output)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.