Re: Bad sound from iMac headphone jacks

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
Matthew Buckett wrote:

I'm running debian woody on a iMac 350 (slot loading) and I seem to get problems with the sound when it is sent through the headphones socket on the right of the machine. The sound is rough, not crackly, it's

That is not a headphone socket -- it is a line-level socket.

Ok, not being an audio person, what is the differnce between a line level socket and a headphones socket?

Is a headphone socket for devices without build in amplifiers? and a line level socket the opposite?

Presumably using headphones isn't the cause of the very poor sound on the line level socket?

Buckett