Re: Can't play audio CD's on G4 (woody)

On Die, 2003-04-29 at 01:49, Clive Menzies wrote:

> I've been trying to get my head around sound.  I've recompiled the
> kernel, 2.4.18 powerpc, making sure that the soundcore module is
> included.

soundcore will be dragged in by the actual sound driver. Is
CONFIG_DMASOUND_PMAC enabled?

> I've created a symlink cdrom > /dev/hdc in /dev.  I've made
> myself a member of group audio.  I've chown'ed the cdrom in /dev to
> group audio.  /dev/dsp is also in group audio.
>
> Whenever, I load KDE 3.3.1 I get an error "device /dev/dsp doesn't
> exist" (but it does).

The device _node_ (i.e. the /dev/dsp file) certainly exists, but the
error probably means that the sound driver (i.e. the dmasound_pmac
module) isn't loaded.

> When I try to play a CD using Xmms it can't seem to read
> the Audio CD and suggests I make sure I have the requisite permissions
> (which I have).

Have you logged out and back in since you set the group ownership? Is
/dev/hdc the correct device, or have you set it up for SCSI emulation?