macintosh portrait monitor

Does someone know how to configure X for a Macintosh Portrait
Monitor? I have a PowerCenter Pro 240 system, which comes
with an ATI 3D Rage card. I tried to configure X with debconf upon installation,
and I edited the XF86Config-4 file to use 640x870 as the default. I get "Screen(s)
found, but none have a usable configuration."

Sorry, my Config file and X log files are not available to me as I write this.
The PowerCenter Pro is not connected to the internet, so I'm writing this from
another computer.

By the way, the kernel argument video=ofonly gives me a good console. (I tried
video=atyfb:vmode:7 but only got garbage on the screen).

Thanks for any help. Please CC me as I am not subscribed to the
list.

--Bill Carini