Re: keymaps

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:30:04PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:23:34PM +0200, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> > At 14:56 Uhr +0200 15.04.2003, Zeno Davatz wrote:
> > (BTW, what I am wondering is: how would I make Mac-on-linux to use
> > the same keyboard layout, when run in a console? I think it's not
> > using the console keymaps, instead it shows the usual Apple key
> > mappings. And I would prefer a PC layout in MOL..;)
> In OS 9 and earlier, there was a Keyboard control panel. It
> allowed installation of various keymaps. Maybe it's still
> there.

It is, I regularly switch between american and Spanish layout on
my Pismo under OS X.

This said, the Spanish keyboard layouts for Macs have errors, especially
the X ones are unusable as is. Whom should I contact to send better ones
I have created?

Note that my keymaps may not suit every Spanish user still, but are a
better starting point. They still have a few issues:

1) I wanted the same layout under OS X and Linux if possible

2) I have a few additional key mappings because I sometimes have to
type in French

3) Apple's laptop keyboards switched from having two Alt and one
Command/Apple keys to one Alt and two Command/Apple. OS X uses
Alt to give access to the 3rd/4th symbol, that's fine on the Pismo,
maybe I'll have to swap them if I buy a new machine. I really need
the 3rd/4th symbol more often than the command key, for
\|@#[]{}~«»æœÆŒ€, but see 1) and 5).

4) I'd like to remap the stupid enter key on the bottom row
to something else.

5) personal tastes (can't argue about it)