Re: Powerbook Install

Chris Tillman writes:
On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 11:31:55PM -0600, joejoe99@softhome.net wrote:
Chris Tillman writes:

>Back in the installer, you might try mounting the bootstrap partition
>(not usually recommended BTW) to see if it's been loaded: > >mount -t hfs /dev/hda2 /mnt After typing the above line I get: Mounting /dev/hda2 on /mnt failed: Invalid argument I was able to get the boot-device to read as it should - after typing 4 "\" it now does read: boot-device=hd:2,\\:tbxi

OK, so I interpret that message as meaning that the bootstrap
partition really hasn't been initialized. It's looking for an
hfs filesystem, and not finding any. First check
mac-fdisk -l

From the installer shell, this returns nothing (just a new prompt).

to be sure the bootstrap is where you think it is, and that it's type Apple_Bootstrap. Double check your conf file to be sure it's got all the right stuff in it:
nano-tiny /target/etc/yaboot.conf

this returns: nano-tiny: not found when looking over the partition table i notice the the system type for the Apple_Bootstrap partition is "unknown" whereas the / and swap are "Linux native" and "Linux swap" respectively. I'm sorry this is so frustrating. I wish I knew a little more and could be of more use. As it is now, I'm about to break down in tears cause I can't seem to get this to work.
Then use the same chroot commands as before, except substitute
'mkofboot' instead of 'ybin'. That should initialize the partition
and then install yaboot.

I'm not familiar with the chroot commands - I don't remember using ybin for anything... --joejoe

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org
Chris Tillman