Re: Powerbook Install

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:33:09PM -0600, joejoe99@softhome.net wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> G3 Powerbook 400 Pismo 6GB / 320MB
>
> I successfully created an Apple_Bootstrap partition of 800k, created a main
> parition as well as a swap partition. I finished the installer fine
> (including making the hard disk bootable), went to reboot, but got the
> folder w/ a ?
>
> I'm guessing that this means that yaboot isn't installed properly? Doesn't
> "Make Hard Disk Bootable" put yaboot onto the bootstrap partition? How
> would I get these files onto the parition? I have no MacOS CD...

Most likely, yaboot's installer couldn't correctly determine
the OpenFirmware path to the bootstrap partition.

Boot back into the installer, open a shell, and check

nvsetenv

Compare the boot-device setting to what you get from

cat /proc/device-tree/aliases/hd

or maybe

cat /proc/device-tree/aliases/ide0

For example, I set my boot-device using

nvsetenv boot-device hd:2,\\:tbxi

This tells OpenFirmware to look on the second partition of the main
hard disk for a blessed startup file.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman