Re: Debian with Mac.

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 18:09, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:04:41PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > > I never tried to play DVD under Linux, but they play well under
> > > OS-9 and OS-X on my Pismo (G3/400/512Mb) with 8Mb of video RAM
> > > (typically through S-Video output to my TV).
> > >
> > > Never used the modem either, I shall try soon.
> >
> > OS 9 and X have access to the ATI chip hardware decoding facilities
> > (IDCT and MC), we don't.
>
> I believed that these facilities (hardware DVD decoding assistance) were
> present on earlier models (Wallstreet and Lombard?) but had been removed
> on Pismo (2000 model with Firewire).

No. Earlier models had a full MPEG2 HW decoder. New models (anything
using an r128 or radeon chip actually) has a partial HW decoder
facility which does HW IDCT and motion compensation.

This part of the chip is not documented by ATI to opensource developers.

> > On the Pismo, the modem is on the serial port, that works. On recent
> > machines, it's an USB softmodem. We have a driver for it, but it's
> > not without problems.
>
> For now the biggest problem I have is with my Internet provider, it
> seems that they use a Windows only protocol for authentication :-(
> (I'm still trying to connect under Linux with a plain PC through an
> external modem on the serial port, and I live in a >99% Windows area).

Hrm... We usually have hacks to be compatible with those craps too ;)

Ben.