Re: kernel

Chris Tillman wrote:

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:31:00PM +0100, Ivo Bellin Salarin wrote:
hi all!
i am searching for a kernel for a ppc 604e with a carolina
motherboard/chipset. is the kernel shipped with debian stable good for this? or I have to download something different and/or patches?

many thanks!

I did a google search for 'carolina 604e chrp' and the first hit was
a very nice page
http://home.tiscali.be/philipa/rs6000.html

There's also a link to Rolf's HOWTO at
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

Hmm, but it really matters which graphics controller you have. That page has kernels for the E30, mine is an E15. I have only got X when using 2.2.18 (because stupid X doesn't support the graphics chip on the card without framebuffer, and the framebuffer isn't part of the 2.4. debian kernel (and last time I tried it didn't compile with 2.4.18 anyway, or something... The RS/6000 isn't getting much action these days, since I'm working on the AmigaOne G3SE (Teron CX)).

Also, carolina chipsets are usually PReP machines, no? Not CHRP?

Anyway, I installed Debian on mine by downloading the installation kernel carolina_bootimage_2.2.18_with_fb from http://users.linpro.no/ingvar/43p/images/kernels/ The Debian kernel can't be used if it's a 43p ("TYPE 7248-133" on the sticker?).

I see that he has now added a debian directory to his site, http://users.linpro.no/ingvar/43p/images/Debian/ If trying to install on a machine like the above (7248-133 or similar), try out Ingvar's boot/root floppies.

Make a PReP boot partition as sda1, then add swap, root, usr as usual. dd the kernel to the boot partition once you're ready to boot from hd instead of floppy.

If you have further problems, and the machine is a 43p like mine, don't hesitate even a microt before asking :-)