Re: quik problem / display

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:06:52PM +0100, Tobias Stefan Richter wrote:
> In linux.debian.ports.powerpc, you wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 07:52:11PM +0100, Tobias Stefan Richter wrote:
> >> I finally got hold of a adb->serial adapter to see the
> >> openfirmware prompt and could boot the computer. But see:
> >>
> >> 	0 > setenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:0  ok
> >> 	0 > boot Second-stage QUIK loader
> >> 	Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)boot:
> >> 	Starting at 0
> >> 	opening display /bandit@F2000000/formacGA6@E... failed
> >> 	copying OF device tree...done
> >> 	Calling quiesce ...
> >> 	booting...
> >>
> >> After that the computer boots up ok, but still no screen ouptut!
> >
> > Sometimes quik seems to work better with an alias, I don't
> > know why that would be, but... try devalias at the OF prompt,
> > probably the alias for your video is something like screen.
> > does setting output-device to that alias help?
>
> I do not quite understand. My output-device is 'ttya' which is
> a setting for OF. Whatever I change there should only affect
> OF not quik. That quik doesn't care can be seen as it uses
> /bandit@F2000000/formacGA6@E despite the setting 'ttya'.
> I tried however setting output-device to vci0 (see
> devalias output below), but everything remained as it
> was:
>
> 0 > boot Second-stage QUIK loader
> Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (woody)boot:
> Starting at 0
> opening display /bandit@F2000000/formacGA6@E... failed

OK, so quik thinks it is talking to a video card on pci1.
Since the the display is vci0, I think you guessed that
right, what happens if you pull out the pci cards? I can't
think why quik would get that idea either, I always assumed
it used OF's output-device.

When you lspci, does it tell you what the pci cards are?

> copying OF device tree...done
> Calling quiesce ...
> booting...
>
> How can I direkt quik to use a different device (which
> anyway?)? Or isn't quik supposed to work with my hardware?
> The base install went smooth on the other hand...
>
> In the mean time I managed to install the system via
> serial console and it's working now, except to I have
> absolutely no screen output. No OF, no console, no X.
> Maybe I'll try plugging in another GFX card...
>
> bye,
> tobias
>
> 0 > devalias
> vci0                /chaos@F0000000
> pci1                /bandit@F2000000
> pci2                /bandit@F4000000
> fd                  /bandit/gc/swim3
> kbd                 /bandit/gc/via-cuda/adb/keyboard
> ttya                /bandit/gc/escc/ch-a
> ttyb                /bandit/gc/escc/ch-b
> enet                /bandit/gc/mace
> scsi                /bandit/gc/53c94
> scsi-int            /bandit/gc/mesh

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003