Re: starmax 3000 boot settings

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:18:31PM +0000, Nicholas Helps wrote:

> Set input/output devices to kbd and screen.
> Auto-boot left set at true.
> Set boot-device to ata/ata-disk@0:0
> no boot-file set

I suggest you set auto-boot to false until you have the right settings :
if your video settings are OK, you will then be able to change your vars
from OF ('printenv' shows your vars, and 'setenv var value' sets var to value)

> On restart I get a white screen with some text on it about quik second stage boot, woody.., then a boot: prompt. I
> tried entering "linux", "boot", "vmlinux". It kept asking for a path to the kernel. So I tried things like
> dev/hda2/vmlinux, etc. None of these worked.

Actually, these are Linux paths, not OF paths ; the correct path should look
like the following : ata/ata-disk@0:0/boot/vmlinux (if your vmlinux is in /boot)
But you don't need this if your quik.conf is OK -- and there is no reason why
it shouldn't work

> Presumably I am missing something very simple. I did see a "quirk" of "quik" for the starmax where it said what
> the boot-device should be set to (as above) and somewhere else that is said you usually do not need to set a
> boot-file.

That's not a quirk -- as far as I know -- it is only the name of your device
under OF (you may even see your entire device tree under OF with 'dev / ls').
The boot-file can be specified absolutely, as above, or relatively,
specifying only the name you assigned to an image in quik.conf ('Linux')

It is very weird that you don't find your vmlinux somewhere on your disk ;
that is definitely the first thing to fix. Once this is done, the following
steps should be easy

HTH,
Simon

--
Simon Vallet
Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon