Re: Debian comes up with clock 14 hours off

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 01:55:03PM -0600, Craig P Steffen wrote:
> I just installed new-powerpc Debian (testing) on my Apple iBook.  I dual-boot
> with Mac OS X.  I am running the stock kernel that came with the new-powermac
> installation, 2.4.18-newpmac.
>
> When Linux boots, it sets is time to 14 hours ahead of what it should be,
> whereas Mac OS X has the correct idea of the time.  Is there a quick fix for
> this?  Something in a config file that I can tweak?  There's a web page where
> someone describes having that same problem (near the bottom of the page):
> http://gecius.de/linux/IBook2.html
> He mentions that Ben H. (of iBook kernel fame) said that you need to get get Mac
> OS X to have the RTC be set to Universal time, but doesn't say how to actually
> do this.

I don't know how that's done. With MacOS 9 that option wasn't available, so we
just had to rollover and do it the Mac's way. That is, the Mac kept the clock
in local time, so you set Linux to be in local time also. You can do this using
date and hwclock --systohc, but the easier way is just to re-run /sbin/base-config
and tell it you want the clock to be local time, not GMT.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003