Re: Beige G3 266 installation

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:41:22AM +0000, Carey Hackett wrote:
> Hello all...
> As is my wont in life, I seem to have picked a really
> difficult task for myself in deciding to turn my 1998
> G3 266 into a Linux box, and I have spent the entire
> weekend trying to get it installed.
> I built the CDs with jigdo on a Windows 2000 box, and
> I finalised them, as instructed by the HOWTO. I printed
> out the installation manual, and I went home feeling
> relatively pleased with myself.
> As I went along, I discovered System Disk 2.3.1 and
> patched my broken firmware. I also installed BootVars,
> so that I can change the load-base if I need to and
> looked around for BootX parameters that may be needed.
> So, here I am... I am using BootX with "no video driver"
> checked (is this the same as video=ofonly?), and I am
> sending "hda=noautotune" to the kernel, because the
> install halts while mounting / otherwise.
> All of my hardware appears to be recognised by the
> kernel without a problem... I am not loading or
> configuring any extra kernel modules during the install.
> I have had various problems as I go through my epic
> journey of discovery, but the most consistent thing
> that seems to happen is that everything goes really
> well up until when the installer runs dpkg to install
> base-files and base-passwd.
> dpkg dies with a bus error every time. I have tried
> altering the load-base to each of the values suggested
> in the list of quik quirks at penguinppc.org, and, so
> far, I am having no joy.

What are the exact messages from virtual console 3 when this

If you try booting MacOS without extensions (shift key held during
boot), then running BootX, does it make a difference?
> What am I missing? Shall I just give up and use my
> 2-year old iMac instead? I would really love for this
> to work, so I can sell the iMac instead :-)
> The machine is a Beige G3 266 with 64 Mb RAM, 4GB IDE
> drive, a Zip drive on SCSI, a Rage II (atyfb) driving
> an old Apple 16" trinitron (not an AppleVision monitor).
> There's nothing unusual about the machine that I can
> think of... It's been reliable, but it is possible that
> the hard drive is iffy (DiskFirstAid and Drive setup
> say it's okay -- I don't have anything stronger)...

A patched version of quik is required with this machine,
search the archives within the past month or so; unless
you plan to keep using BootX - that should be no problem.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003