Re: Trouble with Dual boot MacOSX/Woody - Yaboot on G4 Gigabit

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:35:18AM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:

> >Try, first: ybin -v to see if any errors are reported.
> I ran "/usr/sbin/ybin -b /dev/hda2 -v" and was asked if I wanted to
> create an HFS partition.  I first answered No and it aborted; so I ran
> it again answering Yes and everything seemed to work fine - no errors
> reported.

So, it sounds like it didn't recognize your bootstrap partition? Is there a new
partition shown by mac-fdisk -l? Or maybe the existing filesystem was
corrupt on your partition, and ybin couldn't recognize it.
> >Then mkofboot -v so the bootstrap partition filesystem is
> >re-created.
> I then ran "mkofboot -b /dev/hda2 -v" and that seemed to work fine.
> I have progress of sorts in that it will now boot into OSX (without
> having to hold Option on start-up) but I still need OF (Cmd+Opt+O+F) to
> boot Linux.  So I haven't, as yet, seen the yaboot menu in action ;-)

Still the same error message when you don't hold the option key?

List out what ybin is creating for your boot menu code with (as root):

mount -t hfs /dev/hda2 /mnt
cat /mnt/ofboot.b > ~/menzies-G4
cat /etc/fstab >> ~/menzies-G4
cat /mnt/yaboot.conf >> ~/menzies-G4
cat /proc/cpuinfo >> ~/menzies-G4
umount /mnt

Take a look at the resulting file, you'll see the message in there
that you're seeing, and see if what it's saying makes sense. Then
send the file to erbenson@alaska.net to see if Ethan can help.

But wait...

There was a recent revision of yaboot having something to do
with G4s ... the Windtunnel and XServe models. First, try
downloading the most recent yaboot from penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot
to see if that fixes the problem.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003