Re: Hardware clock on dual G4 highly inaccurate?

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 01:35, Kevin B.Hendricks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FWIW on my dual G4 the hardware clock loses between 3 and 5 minutes per
> 24 hour period.
>
> I finally set up an hourly cron job to try to keep my clock current.

There are 2 different things:

 - The software clock maintained by the kernel. This one requires proper
bus speed calibration, which can be an issue on recent machine, thus
causing significant drifts. I'm working on a fix for this.

 - The hardware clock (hwclock output) is maintained by the PMU and is
_supposed_ to be relatively accurate. However, I noticed some recent
machines appear to show an "i2c-hwclock" node below the PMU node, and
I'm wondering if Apple added a stock hwclock chip on the PMU i2c bus in
order to replace the PMU's own (if any) or if this is just making an old
stuff visible in the device-tree. I'll investigate that when I get one
of the new machine.

Ben.