Re: French Keymap

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 15:46, Michael Herrmann wrote:
>  Hi!
>
> On my Powerbook G4 1000 I have the same problem, but just with a german keyboard.
>
> I'm comeing from the x86 world and I think the keymaps for PPC Linux are very confuse. Why there are no such very importent keys like { }or ~?? Yesterday I find a directory with a apple keymap for german users. Fine, I thought and load the keymap. But I still miss the { } keys.
>
> Can somebody explain me why in the standart installation this keys are not activated?
>
> Maybe somebody with a german keyboard too can give me any advise to fix my problem.
>
> Thanks for your help!

For my .fr keyboard, I had to hack keymaps as well. It seems part of the
problem is that XFree kbd handling isn't designed to have Alt beeing
used for such key combos. What I did was to turn left alt into
Mode_switch, but it seems that now, some apps don't recognize it as Alt
any more for other stuffs.